Preparing for moving day
Moving day is exciting, but can also be stressful, especially as there are often lots of things to remember to do. We've compiled this guide to help you prepare for your moving day, including what you need to do before you move out, on the day you move out and also when you move into another property.
Before you move
- Give notice to vacate your current property to your current landlord or letting agent
- Set up a standing order to direct debit for your new rent payments - at KFH, we organise this for you, however some letting agents may not
- Notify your bank, insurance, mobile phone and any other utility companies of your new address
- Notify utility providers of your change of address and if you are considering switching, research the best value companies for your new property
- Set up a redirection for your post
- Submit final electricity, gas and water meter readings to the relevant utility providers
- Ensure you remove all personal items and that the property is cleaned to at least the same standard as at the start of the tenancy and furniture is returned to its original place
- Repair any damage caused to the property during your tenancy and replace any items that cannot be repaired, retaining receipts for your records
- Return the keys to the inventory clerk if a check out has been booked, or to the landlord or letting agent if not. Obtain a receipt.
- Ensure you have read and understood the tenancy agreement, signed and returned it
- Ensure you have paid the initial rent and deposit. You won't be allowed to move in until you have done so.
- Attend the inventory check-in appointment or collect the keys for your new property from the letting agent or landlord
- Take gas, electricity and water readings at your new property