Skip to main content

Does a tenant or landlord pay for utility bills and council tax?

The tenant is usually responsible for bills such as gas, electricity and water, as well as council tax and the TV licence. Details of bills to be paid for by the tenant will be listed in the tenancy agreement.

It is important to note that many tenants are not aware that their TV licence doesn't automatically move with them when they move from property to property - you can do this via

If a tenant doesn't notify TV Licensing of the new address, the tenant could end up being unlicensed in the new property. Anyone who watches TV or streams live broadcasts on a PC , laptop, tablet or phone, without a licence risks prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000. It's worthwhile checking the tenancy agreement details. 

Read more testimonials Leave a review

Find a property

Please upgrade your browser

The Kinleigh Folkard & Hayward website uses the latest technology to give you the best possible experience, unfortunately your browser doesn't support these technologies.

Click here to upgrade to a modern browser