Having lost out on our dream home a few weeks ago, my sister and I were feeling rather despondent about the chances of finding another suitable property. The bar had been set pretty high and nothing we viewed compared to the lovely two bedroom flat we had set our hearts on. Sinead O’Connor’s famous words were truly ringing in our ears.
Weeks passed without any luck until we came across a great 2 bedroom flat located within a beautiful 1890s conversion, also in Seven Sisters. We were both over the moon at having stumbled across it and not wanting to miss out on yet another property, we immediately called the agent and booked a slot at the open day being held that weekend.
The Open day
Saturday arrived and passing through the property whilst eyeing out our competitors, my sister and I exchanged a look and a synchronised nod. We felt instantly at home. The property had such charm and cosiness – we could definitely see ourselves living there. It was certainly a no brainer when compared to the other properties we had viewed. We immediately arranged a second viewing for later that day and dragged our parents along for their opinions.
We all agreed it was a great property and come Monday morning I eagerly called the agent with our offer. I was informed that they had already received an offer from another party at the Open Day. The offers were being put forward to the vendor, who would most likely decide to go to ‘best and final’ bids. Later that day we received another call from the agent who, as predicted, requested our best and final offer by 12pm the following day.
We deliberated for hours and finally decided on our magic figure. Having viewed a number of properties in the area, we had gathered plenty of comparable evidence and agreed on what we felt the property was worth, adding £1,000 for good measure. Tuesday afternoon dragged on like a sedated snail until we finally received a call from the agent - we had been out-bid!
What happened next
A few days later we received a phone call from the agent who advised that the offer from the competition had fallen through and, if we were willing to match their bid, the seller would be happy to accept our offer. Jumping for joy at this second chance whilst considering selling our grandma to make up the shortfall, our parents injected some much needed sense and brought us back down to earth. After some deliberation, our reply was a firm no – we were sticking to our guns and our original offer was as high as we were prepared to go.
Obviously having our number on speed dial, I received yet another phone call from the agent. The vendors had decided to accept our original offer!